Voice Type: Mezzo-soprano
Role(s) in this year's festival:
Mrs. Demers: City Workers in Love
Cinderella's Stepmother: Into the Woods
Cinderella's Mother/Giant: Into the Woods
The Baker's Wife (Cover): Into the Woods
Chorus: The Arctic Flute
How are you preparing for NUOVA's programs?
- I'm excited to be taking on four full roles and one cover in this year's program, but it means that I have lots of learning to do! I'm finishing up my graduating recital, and then it's time to hit the practice rooms. I also went out and bought myself dance shoes for the first time in years - I'm excited to use those! And I've been looking at cycling maps of Edmonton: I love to bike, and having a river to ride alongside sounds like a great time.
What attracts you to NUOVA's programs? Why this year?
- A friend of mine participated in the Emerging Artist program last year and loved it, so when I was applying to opera programs this year NUOVA was high on my list! I've never spent time in Alberta, and I'm looking forward to meeting tons of new people. Everyone I talks to tells me that the teaching is excellent, too, which is great - I'm looking at applying to a Master's program next year, so the more prepared I can be, the better!
o Education: Finishing my Bachelor of Music in Voice in May, 2018.
- Bragg Women Music Opportunities Fund Award, 2018
- Canadian Federation of Music Teachers’ Associations National Essay Competition (second place, undergraduate category), 2017
- Isabel (Munro) Pace Scholarship, 2017-2018
- Music Faculty Scholarship, 2017-2018
- Marjorie Young Bell Scholarship, Mount Allison, 2014-2018
- Gladys Muttart Scholarship, Mount Allison, 2014/2015
- Mount Allison Entrance Scholarship, Mount Allison, 2014/2015
- Anniversary Scholarship, St. Andrew’s Church, Toronto, 2014-2015
- Dean's List, 2014-2018
- Mount Allison Opera Workshop, 2017/2018: arias, duets and trios from "The Old Maid and the Theif" (Menotti), "L'incoronazione di Poppea" (Monteverdi), "Alcina" (Handel), "La clemenza di Tito" (Mozart)
- Jeunesses Musicales New Brunswick: "Our Best" Emerging Artists Tour, 2018
- Halifax Summer Opera Festival, 2017: Florence Pike in "Albert Herring" (Britten)
- Garnet and Gold Musical Theatre Society, 2017: Judge/Store Manager/Soprano 2 Ringer in "Legally Blonde"
- Windsor Theatre, 2015: Ms. Krumholtz, "How to Succeed in Business (Without Really Trying)"
My mum is the person who got me into classical music, and my dad is the one who started me on jazz. Together, the two of them gave me a musical upbringing that I'll always be grateful for! They inspire me to be a better musician and a better human being.
I would LOVE to play Handel pants roles for the rest of my life. If all the countertenors of the world could just take a nice long holiday, that would be great, thanks. Otherwise, Charlotte in "Werther" is a dream role, and I really enjoy some of the newer American operas. Kitty in "Doctor Atomic", maybe Meg - or Jo! - in "Little Women". Strong male roles are everywhere, but it takes some looking to find strong women!
- Halifax Summer Opera Festival, upcoming August 2018: Arnalta in "L'incoronazione di Poppea" (Monteverdi)