The NUOVA Opera & Musical Theatre Festival could not run without the participation of a dozen emerging theatre production professionals behind the scenes. These paid work experience positions support the 4 mainstage productions of the Six-Week Program and the work-study students will work directly with both its participants and the NUOVA faculty.
Applicants must have previous experience with opera or theatre on the college, community, and/or professional level. Stage Management applicants must read music proficiently, and knowledge of a foreign language and computers is an asset. Participants are selected on the basis of prior training, experience, demonstrated interest, and assessed potential in professional theatre. Participants normally will have completed at least two years of relevant academic training, with related professional experience, or will have experience in a related area of professional performing arts.
There are numerous paid positions in the following areas:
- Box Office Management & Administrative Assistance
- Stage Management
- Stage Carpentry
- Properties Designer
- Technical Direction
- Set & Projection Design (as applicable)
Production participants accepted into Work Study programs contracted employees of Opera NUOVA. Opera NUOVA’s Work Study program requires a full-time commitment. It is neither feasible nor practical for participants to engage in outside employment during the 6-Week intensive program.
Each participant will work directly with a faculty mentor to guide them through their work position. Each participant will be directly involved in the mainstage productions from rehearsal to build to load-in, run to strike. This hands-on opportunity will provide each aspiring craftsperson with practical, high quality, operatic experience that mimics a demanding professional setting. Assignment of responsibilities will be based on the participant’s ability and willingness to learn.
An in-person interview is required and will be scheduled with each applicant individually.
2020 WORK-STUDY POSITIONS
Application Deadline: February 15, 2020
BOX OFFICE MANAGER & FESTIVAL ASSISTANT (1)
- Run the Box Office for the Festival: Take phone orders & manage the front of house at performances
- Help with general operation in the NUOVA office during the festival
- Position dates: May 11 to June 29, 2020
- Earn $17/hour for 7 weeks
STAGE MANAGERS / ASSISTANT STAGE MANAGERS (4)
- Stage-manage one opera or musical and assist on others
- Must be able to read music
- 1 position available May 18 to July 5, 2020 (7 weeks)
- 3 positions available May 25 to July 5, 2020 (6 weeks)
- Earn $17/hour
SCENIC CARPENTERS / CREW (3)
- Assist the build of 2 fully-staged orchestrated productions
- Learn proper techniques & approaches in a professional scene shop
- Position dates: May 11 to July 5, 2020
- Earn $18/hour for 8 weeks
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR (1)
- Oversee the building, management and maintenance of production budgets, staff and materials
- Develop leadership skills as a TD overseeing and helping to produce, install and strike 4 operatic and musical productions
- Position dates: May 11 to July 5, 2019
- Earn $20/hour for 8 weeks
SCENIC & LIGHTING DESIGNER (1)
- Develop practical set & lighting designer skills working alongside ADC Designer
- Apply your scenic painting skills to paint 2 production
- Position dates: May 4 to June 28, 2020
- Earn $22/hour for 8 weeks
PROPERTIES MASTER (1)
- Build, rent, borrow and amass the props for three fully-staged operatic and musical productions—become familiar with this city’s resources!
- Work under the guidance of an ADC Designer and professional shop staff
- Position dates: May 18 to July 5, 2020
- Earn $18/hour for 7 weeks
How to Apply
Send a cover letter and your resumé to Opera NUOVA’s Artistic & Managing Director, Kim Mattice Wanat (email@example.com) by February 15, 2020. Or, see below for online applications.